NEXGENABC Central Florida
The NEXGEN Leadership Program is an avenue to build industry connections, strengthen leadership mind-set, promote teamwork, and spark creative abilities through an array of industry-based classes and experiences.
Central Florida ABC leadership candidates are among the best and brightest and NEXGEN provides an opportunity to strength an industry peer network of leaders within our community.
The NEXGEN Leadership Program’s mission is to expand the ABC network of leaders and provide a steppingstone for up-and-coming people of influence for the central Florida construction industry.
NEXGEN accommodates a diverse group with a variety of roles and industry experience. The NEXGEN utilizes local community partnerships to build meaningful experiences from industry leaders. Sessions change each year to fit industry shifts, explore crucial topics, and engage in community projects. The program is driven by the growing alumni and leaders within the local community.
NEXGEN Leadership Program is an 8-month curriculum designed to enhance participants knowledge through leadership coaching, industry specific content, and peer networking. This program creates experiences with central Florida project leadership, decision makers, model design teams, and a healthy balance of fresh and seasoned industry role models. Off-site locations are often paired with a site tour to align with the session topic.
- There’s no “I” in Team: Building Teams and Professional Networks
- Ready, Willing, Prepared: Leading in Construction
- ABC’s Mission – A national organization with a state and local purpose
- Public Policy, Law, and Political Advocacy to support the Construction Industry
- Engaging and Partnering for Workforce Development & Capacity Building
- Economic Drivers and the Construction Industry: Sustainability, Growth, and Resilience
- Finding and Winning Work: Leadership and Business Development Strategy
- Corporate Citizenship and Community Involvement: Doing good and serving in the community - not just providing goods and services to the community
Who Should Apply?
Is This You?
Application Process & Schedule:
- Submission Window: Friday, June 24 through Sunday July 31
- Submit applications with a copy of resume and most recent headshot by July 31
- Review & Screening: August 1-5
- Applications and supporting materials will be reviewed by the NEXGEN Council.
- Interviews: August 8-12
- Each applicant will be interviewed prior to acceptance. There is a limited number of seats in the program. Applicants who are not accepted may reapply the following June/July for a future program.
- Notification: August 19
- Once interviews are completed, the Council will announce the next class participants.
2022-23 Session Schedule and Topics
The NEXGEN program’s monthly sessions will also include teamwork development and networking opportunities after key sessions. Generally, classes will start at 11:00 am, with a lunch and conclude at 5 pm. Follow-on events will begin immediately after the training ends - these sessions will be 1–2-hour activities. Graduation for the NEXGEN Cohort will be Tuesday, June 6, 2023.
The planned dates for NEXGEN 2022-23 are:
- Monday, September 19, 2022 – Class Kick-off, meet & greet Board of Directors
- Thursday, October 20, 2022
- Thursday, November 10, 2022
- Thursday, January 19, 2023
- Thursday, February 16, 2023
- Thursday, March 16, 2023
- Thursday, April 20, 2023
- Thursday, May 23, 2023
- Tuesday, June 6, 2023 – Graduation Dinner & Ceremony
Participants and their nominating supervisor agree to adhere to the NEXGEN Leadership Program Rules of Engagement. Attendance to all sessions for the entirety of the agenda is expected. Participants who miss more than two (2) program days will be dropped without refund of tuition and nominating supervisor will be notified. Cell phone and tablet/computer use during class is prohibited.
IN THEIR OWN WORDS…
Linking industry newcomers and seasoned professionals all with a common goal in the CFC ABC network, paves the way in the future of industry mentorship, workforce development, and professional growth opportunities — that alone is NEXGEN’s true value.
– George Anthony, Poli Construction, Inc.
Developing a peer network of like-minded individuals is powerful in how we step outside a daily routine and comfort zone… opens the door for various ways to stay involved with ABC and giving back to this great industry.
– Chris Caruthers, Quick Response Fire Protection Inc.
The key element of NEXGEN is the involvement of membership leaders who contribute to relevant topics and those who navigate site tours experiences. Witnessing the value of this program, I am looking forward to being an alumni contributor to make this happen year after year for CFC ABC.
– Chris Caplan, Hoar Construction, LLC
NEXGEN is absolutely a program worth keeping around… the interactions and lessons learned are second-to-none. I’d like to see the success of the NEXGEN program continue to flourish and am willing to help see that through however I can.
– Wes Harris, Baker Concrete Construction, Inc.
NEXGEN shapes and binds the future of the construction community. With the right participants and the right activities, NEXGEN Leadership alumni can become a powerful force in the community, and I am looking forward to being involved with its future.
– Jacqueline Hayman, Sunbelt Rentals, Inc.
Just like how no two projects are the same, no two NEXGEN experiences are the same. A brand-new network bridge has been built to connect us all in this great industry.
– Devon Loy, Brasfield & Gorrie, LLC
My story is unique but also one of many… hearing the ABC membership experiences, of those who have come before us in the construction industry, shows me this is not just a professional organization, this is a professional family I want to continue to be a part of in my career.
– Michael Markey, Preferred Materials, Inc.
The NEXGEN peer network formed new connections and a fresh drive in my career by providing various opportunities out in the construction world. After meeting some change agent leaders of central Florida, I see we, as builders, have an amazing opportunity to do good and make our communities better.
– Jessica McMahan, Brasfield & Gorrie, LLC
The journey does not end here. I am excited to be a part of the NEXGEN planning team with my new alumni peer network.
– Courtney Teseniar, Westbrook Service Corporation
Interested in being a NEXGEN Contributor? Here’s how to get involved:
- NEXGEN Committee
- Provide a classroom for a NEXGEN session (3-4 Hours)
- Become a presenter or panelist during one of the sessions
- Sponsor a NEXGEN class lunch
- Sponsor a NEXGEN Networking Hour
- Provide a project tour or job site tour - completed or active project
Build the foundation for the leaders of tomorrow. Join the many companies and industry professionals who contribute to NEXGEN Leadership.